What you need to know about overdrafts and overdraft fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account Available Balance* to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account, called “Courtesy Pay”.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings or an existing line of credit account, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. For more information, ask us about this service.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices:
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We may authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions, after your account has been open for six months:
- Checks, recurring debit card payments and other transactions made using your checking account number.
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for everyday debit card transactions unless you ask us to.
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for ATM and Bethpage Online Banking Bill Pay transactions.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will I be charged if Bethpage Federal Credit Union pays my overdraft?
- We will charge you a fee of $30.00 each time we pay a check, recurring debit card payment and other transactions made using your checking account number that causes an overdraft.
- If you opt into Courtesy Pay for everyday debit card transactions, we will charge you a fee of $10.00 each time we pay a debit card transaction that causes an overdraft with the following exceptions:
- We will not charge you a fee for purchases of $20.00 or less for an everyday debit card transaction that causes you to overdraft.
- We will not charge you a fee when your Total Balance* at the time your transaction posts has enough funds to cover your everyday debit card transaction, even though funds in your Available Balance* are overdrawn.
- There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
*Note: Please refer to the Overdraft Policy Disclosure section of your Consumer Member Account Agreement for additional information about overdrafts, including definitions with examples for Total Balance and Available Balance.
What if I want Bethpage Federal Credit Union to authorize and pay overdrafts on my everyday debit card transactions?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on everyday debit card transactions, select your preference Online (including through the Mobile App) using the Courtesy Pay widget on your dashboard. If you opt-in, you may revoke your consent at any time online, by calling the number below or by notifying a branch employee.
You can also complete the Courtesy Pay form when presented to you at account opening, or anytime thereafter. The form is available at your local branch, by calling 800-628-7070 or at lovebethpage.com/forms. After you complete the form, give it to a branch employee or mail it to Bethpage Federal Credit Union, Attn: Operations, PO Box 2069, Glen Burnie, MD 20160.